Friday, 5 February 2016

From Then Until Now (In A Nutshell)

Where do I even start? It's been over a year since I've blogged a word. So many changes have taken place in the last year and a half. We are in a new home, in a new town. (Well, sort of. We moved back to Whitecourt.) We are attending a new church and making new friends. My husband has a new job, my kids are in new schools, and I have even had a "new to me" taste of working outside of my home.

 Let me give you a quick overview of what's been going on, from then until now. (In a nutshell.)

We had been living in Calgary for almost five years. In March of 2014, my husband was offered a new position with the company he works for. He accepted, and in June, he began making the transition from Calgary back to Whitecourt. He stayed with his parents in Whitecourt during the week, and came back to Calgary on the weekends. Early in June, I made a quick trip to Whitecourt myself. We purchased a 5 acre parcel of land just outside of town, and hired a general contractor to build our home.



 My middle son came to Whitecourt in July to work with my dad for the summer. My eldest boy, who was staying in Calgary to attend school, moved in with a room-mate, and my daughter and I continued on in our Calgary house while she finished out her competitive summer swim club. Let me tell you..... that was a difficult time for me. I was missing the men in my family; especially my husband. I gained 5 pounds during that stint! (I eat food for comfort, people! I was lonely, and needed a lot of comfort!) Then, FINALLY, Alysa and I joined Jason and Jacob in Whitecourt on August 15th. We lived in our holiday trailer on my parents acreage from August until the end of 

October. When the weather got too cold, (and when the snow nearly collapsed the awning on the trailer) we knew it was time to transition to hotel living until the house was ready. We booked to two 

rooms at the Best Western, and holed up there for a month and a half with our dog. That was quite an 
experience as well! And while I'm not sure that I'd want to do it again any time soon, it was kinda fun. We look back on that time with fond memories!
During that time, the four of us took a week long holiday at a beautiful resort in Mexico.

Then, on Monday, December 15th, we took possession of our home. I set up our new Christmas Tree while the tilers finished setting the backsplash in our kitchen. On the 16th, the moving van showed up with all of our stuff and unloaded. Everything was everywhere! It was chaos! It was bliss! My husband took a day off work and we set up house. My mom helped me put the kitchen in some semblance of order, and shove linens in the closets. (She also helped my daughter set her bedroom up! What a great Gramma!) I stocked the fridge and pantry with food, did a little Christmas baking, and decorated the house for Christmas.

Then, on Saturday, December 20th, we hosted Christmas dinner for my extended family.
 So. Much. Fun! My son came up from Calgary on Christmas Eve, and then, on Christmas Day, I hosted dinner for my husband's extended family, along with my parents. And during that afternoon, I started getting sick.
 I was tired. I was run down. I was plain worn out.
But I remember eating that Christmas dinner. It was the best dinner I have ever tasted! I enjoyed every single bite. I didn't stress about a thing. Wine got spilled on the table cloth. I didn't care. I just sat there eating that delicious dinner. And afterward, I didn't clean up a single thing. My beautiful family took care of everything. I ate my dessert, drank my coffee, and just sat there on the couch.
Honestly, I think it was the best Christmas Day ever!

(Disclaimer......nobody expected me to host Christmas at my house. I volunteered because I LOVE hosting Christmas! Like, L.O.V.E. it!!!)

After Christmas, (and after I started feeling better!) I spent time organizing the house a little better.  (Actually, I'm still trying to organize it....but whatever!)

When Spring finally decided to make an appearance, we moved our focus to the outside. My awesome husband built an awesome deck! We started landscaping, and planting grass seed. We payed $2500 to have 40 evergreen trees planted close to our property lines, (You don't even want to know how many of those blasted trees died!) bought some more trees, and dug in our fire pit.

 HUGE job! And there is still soooo much work to do outside, but that's ok. It will get done when it gets done, and until then, we love being outside and working on our landscaping. (I mean, you know.....when there isn't snow on the ground!)

From the beginning of August until the end of October, I took a three month short term position as an Additional Assistant Returning Officer in our district, for Elections Canada. Let me tell you, that was one of the, most difficult, and one of the most rewarding experiences I've encountered! I learned a lot about myself during those three months! I'm much more capable than I thought I was!

My husband turned 40 in December. (Yes, people..... I'm older than my husband!) Unlike myself, he's not really all about the big party where everyone makes a big fuss over you. All he wanted was time away for just the two of us, so we made another escape to Mexico. Lucky me!! I mean, lucky us!

Christmas came again. (It seems to do that every year!) My son came home from Calgary. My mom hosted Christmas for my side of the family this year, and again, I hosted for Jason's side along with my parents. And I have to say, while Christmas dinner was delicious, it just couldn't quite compare to the previous year! And I'm totally ok with that!

So now, here we are in February of 2016. Life in my 44th year has thrown me some ups and some downs. I've had some new, some wonderful, and some painful experiences. I've continued to grow in my faith, and as an individual. And I feel I'm ready to start writing again. I forgot how much I enjoy it.

Just so you know, my blog is in the process of undergoing some construction. In the months ahead, it will be moving in a slightly different direction. I have a good idea of what the bones of it will look like, (it's already taking shape!) but as for the finished product.......I guess it will unfold as I continue to grow. But I'm looking forward to the process.

Feel free to tag along if you like.

 I'd love for you to walk with me!